What is Data Translation ?
Forget Data Scientists And Hire A Data Translator Instead? This Forbes article written by Bernard Marr explains a Data Translator not only respect the functions of the data scientists, but also understand the needs of decision-makers.
The Rise of the Data Strategist – Part 1 written by Boyan Angelov from DAIN Studios explains the skill a data strategist brings to the team: “the ability to translate business problems to analytical solutions and insights”.
The Rise of the Data Strategist – Part 2 A follow-up on the first article by DAIN Studios
Analytics translator: The new must-have role This Harvard Business review article describes the Analytics Translator role help ensure that organizations achieve real impact from their analytics initiatives.
Business Basics for Data Scientists by Kathrin Verestounon how to get business buy-in to data projects using the skills typical found in Business Analysts.
Books and Papers
Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler: The future is faster than you think – A look ahead from 2020 to the next decade – How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives
Hannah Fry: Hello World. How to be human in the age of the machine discusses threats and power of the data and algorithms – to both uplift the world and also to cause personal and societal damage
Byron Reese: The Fourth Age: Smart Robots, Conscious Computers, and the Future of Humanity. The world we live in – Artificial Intelligence and Robotics – development from the caveman to the robot.
Harvard Business review: Data Scientst: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century, the October 2012 article that triggered the buzz around Data Science.
- Carole Cadwalladr talks on Facebook’s role in Brexit – and the threat to democracy. She discusses the impact data science most likely had on the outcome of the Brexit vote.
- Aaron Koblin talks on Visualizing ourselves…with crowd sourced data. The fun, creative and uplifting side of data science.
- Hans Rosling talks on the best stats you’ve ever seen. A relative old presentation (2006) but still relevant. The power of dynamic and visual presentation of data. Also see the reference to the site gapminder.org.
- David McCandess talks on the beauty of data visualisation – how data visualation can make a poweful impact and have an artistic apeal.
- Eric Berlow talks on Simplifying complexity. Short and to the point.
- Daphne Koller is the co-founder and co-chairman of Coursera, the online learning platform that provides 3000+ free courses from major universities in the world. She founded it with Andrew Ng who is a computer engineer, entrepreneur and an influential leader in machine learning and AI.
Humans & AI in Financial Services – The Future – Samik Chandarana | ODSC Europe 2019 – see how J.P.Morgan uses AI to make a commercial impact in an appropriate and ethical way.
Hannah Fry asks the question: ‘Should Computers run the world ?’ If you don’t have time to read her book at the very least watch this video.
Risto Siilasmaa talks on ‘Why the chairman of Nokia took time out to learn about Machine Learning’. An inspiring and informative talk from the chairman of Nokia.
Cassie Kozyrkov, chief decision scientist at Google talks on Decision intelligence (ML++) at the TNW Conference 2018.
Shoshana Zuboff’s talk ‘Big Tech Stole Our Data While Democracy Slept’ expands on the impact of Surveillance Capitalism on our everyday lives.
Virginia Eubanks talks about her book ‘Automating Inequality: How High-Tech Tools Profile, Police and Punish the Poor’. This talk highlights the importance of ethics in data science, and the danger of black box algorithms and systems built on biased data.
Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic’s presentation on data story telling introduces simple, concepts of low-tech planning, to increase your efficiency and tell data stories that meet the audience’s needs and influence change.